Surveying 3,000 respondents last month, IRA Investing has compiled a list of the top snowbird migration routes across America. Leading the flock is Fort Collins, Colorado, to Long Beach, California, at No. 1, followed by Portland, Maine, to Orlando, Florida, at No. 2. The destinations deliver diverse experiences and landscapes that cater to those retreating from cold temperatures.
The list continues with Cape Cod, Massachusetts, to Clearwater, Florida, at No. 3 and Buffalo, New York, to Palms Springs, California, at No. 4. Boasting a slightly shorter route, Albany, New York, to Asheville, North Carolina, ranks at No. 5.
The top 10 snowbird destinations and routes include:
- Fort Collins in the summer and Long Beach in the winter.
- Portland in the summer and Orlando in the winter.
- Cape Cod in the summer and Clearwater in the winter.
- Buffalo in the summer and Palms Springs in the winter.
- Albany in the summer and Asheville in the winter.
- Louisville, Kentucky, in the summer and Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in the winter.
- Seattle in the summer and Albuquerque, New Mexico, in the winter.
- Bar Harbor, Maine, in the summer, and Atlanta in the winter.
- Mackinac Island, Michigan, in the summer and Savannah, Georgia, in the winter.
- Appleton, Wisconsin, in the summer and Daytona Beach, Florida, in the winter.
Across the remainder of the top 20, popular wintertime destinations on the list are primarily located in the Southeast and include cities in Florida, Texas, and Alabama, except for Sedona, Arizona; Henderson, Nevada; Chesapeake, Virginia; and St. George, Utah.