Valspar—from the Sherwin-Williams Consumer Brands Group—has unveiled 12 soothing shades for its 2021 Colors of the Year. The palette aims to bring a sense of comfort and well-being to people’s walls, ultimately blending home improvement with self-improvement.
When selecting this year’s palette, the color experts at Valspar analyzed the shift in global lifestyle trends, including the increased interest for self-care activities and home improvement projects. To cater to both items, the team chose the following serene hues to allow people to “take charge of their physical spaces, so they help foster their best mental space.”
“Our homes have become offices, entertainment centers, and classrooms—which means the colors, sights, and sounds in our rooms have an even bigger impact on our daily lives,” says Sue Kim, Valspar color marketing manager. “These lifestyle changes coupled with a surge in DIY home activity helped guide our selection of a range of colors for Valspar’s 2021 Colors of the Year that can not only transform your space, but also elevate your mood.”
Chosen to evoke calmness, serenity, and simplicity, the 12 colors range from Blissful Blue and Gallery Gray to Dusty Lavender and Maple Leaf. They were selected to provide flexibility and can be incorporated into existing design elements of the home, according to the company. Check out the complete palette and their descriptions below.
- Blissful Blue – This muted indigo taps into the organic tones of a morning mist.
- Soft Candlelight – This mature yellow lights up a space with a golden glow.
- Granite Dust – Inspired by the protective qualities of natural stone, Granite Dust allows you to create your own personal haven.
- Cherry Taupe – Cherry Taupe is a botanical neutral that adds rich sophisticated softness.
- Arizona Dust – This modern apricot shade with a bold twist evokes our desire to embrace vibrant tones from nature.
- Garden Flower – Modernly classic like the beauty of white roses, this natural tint is soft and simple setting our mind at ease.
- Academy Gray – A deep blueish gray that promotes the importance of time spent at leisure, allowing us to unwind and relax.
- Unforgettable – A shade with no time restraint, this white has warmth to soften rooms and lend an elevated sophistication.
- Gallery Gray – Embodying minimalism, this fresh shade of warm gray inspires a feeling that is modern and natural.
- Dusty Lavender – Dusty Lavender creates a soft but unexpectedly dynamic feel that is warm and inviting.
- Maple Leaf – A warm camel shade that has an authentic quality, embracing our appreciation for a handmade craft.
- Lucy Blue – Familiar and calming, like the waves of the ocean. We look to blue to bring a playful happiness into the home.