Adobe Stock/Brian Jackson

NAHB’s new Housing Trends Report (HTR) surveys prospective buyers to gauge their perception of housing availability and affordability in their markets. The survey, conducted in the first quarter of this year, asked prospective buyers planning on purchasing within 12 months if they thought finding the right home would get easier, harder, or stay the same. Eye on Housing’s Rose Quint reports:

[O]nly 15% said it’d get easier, down from the 27% who thought so in the fourth quarter of 2017. On the other hand, 73% said they expect the house search to get harder or stay about the same, up from 65% in the last quarter of 2017. The share of prospective home buyers who expect that finding the right home will become easier later in 2018 is below 20% across all generations, but Seniors are the least optimistic – only 3% think so.

Only 24% of prospective buyers said they were seeing more homes that meet their criteria on the market compared with three months ago, down from 34% of buyers in the last quarter of 2017. Sixty-four percent responded that they were seeing fewer or about the same number of homes, up from 58% one quarter earlier.

Read More