The kitchen and bath market for materials, excluding design and labor costs, in 2017 reached an estimated $158.1 billion, a 7.5% increase year over year, the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) announced in the release of its Size of Market Study and Outlook. The study also found the sales of products and materials aimed at the residential kitchen and bath market reached $644 billion. Nearly 49% of these sales are attributed to residential remodeling and replacement projects, a 6.4% increase from the 2016 report.

According to the NKBA, the $158 billion size of the kitchen and bath market represents one quarter of the residential construction market. Nearly 63% of the $158 billion total is generated by remodeling and replacement projects in existing homes, with the remaining 37% coming from new home construction.

"Our research reveals the strong position of the kitchen and bath industry, which is particularly significant in times of a fluctuating economy," said NKBA CEO Bill Darcy in a public statement. "This research is an invaluable tool that helps our membership with strategic business decisions, and solidifies NKBA's thought leadership in the industry."

The NKBA Industry report estimates 2017 market size information for the remodel and replacement and new housing construction sectors for nine kitchen and 12 bath product categories. The association conducted a total of 775 surveys among builders, remodelers, and general contractors to gather data on business activities and growth and an additional 550 consumer surveys with individuals who recently completed a kitchen or bath remodeling project. The projections for the remodeling segment were calibrated based on Harvard University's Joint Center for Housing Studies remodeling spending estimates.

The NKBA also estimates the residential construction market expanded in 2018 and projects further expansion in 2019.

This article originally appeared on Remodeling.