Real estate consultant John Burns was out late Thursday with his annual look at master planned communities. And it reported that Irvine Ranch, The Villages, Lakewood Ranch, and Summerlin all captured over 1,000 net homes sales in 2017.
Sales in a number of western US communities swelled, while many communities in Florida and Texas captured fewer sales as they wind down or face more competition. Texas usually dominates the top 25 ranking, but only Riverstone in Houston and Paloma Creek in Dallas had enough sales this year.
Click here to download the Top 50 MPC Rankings for 2017
Burns contacted 370 master plans—many of which it advises on market, segmentation, amenity, and marketing strategies—to arrive at the ranking. Together, the top 50 masterplans sold 27,580 homes, reflecting a 17% year-over-year increase from 2016. Their combined 2017 sales represent approximately 4.5% of all new home sales nationally.
Among other findings:
- California and Southwest master plans together account for 56% of the 2017 top-selling communities, up from 48% one year ago.
- Southern California master plans represent 24% of the top 25, rising from 16% in 2016.
- The Southwest’s market share jumped to 28% from 24% one year ago.
- Texas captures 8% of our 2017 top 25, dropping from 28% last year.
- Florida’s share rose to 28% from 20% in 2016.