It's ok to envy this space, to covet it for yourself. But marveling at the pool and its inset planters or longing for the loggia and its amenities is only half of the story. Dig a little deeper, and you'll see a clever solution for keeping the pool safe and secure: The architect used the lot's slight slope to the lake to create a retaining wall and gated steps that eliminated the need for a view-blocking fence around the pool. Then there's the concealed insect screen for the loggia (see “Product Spotlight: Screen Play,” opposite page), seen only when needed so that the owners can still enjoy the outdoors without getting attacked. And let's not forget the 3-foot-deep, steel-posted overhang that effectively shields the windows and doors on both levels along the bulk of the back elevation from the sun without intruding on their views. Beautiful and smart. Now that's something to envy.PRODUCT SPECS
- ROOFING. Shake-look concrete roof tiles reinforce the island-colonial detailing of the house while significantly reducing roof replacement costs and flame spread. Monier-Lifetile. Circle no. 177.
- OUTDOOR KITCHEN. A full line of Monogram-brand outdoor appliances, including the all-in-one refreshment center and propane-fueled grill, courtesy of GE Appliances (circle no. 178), and a Kohler stainless-steel sink and faucet (circle no. 179) complete the kitchen.
- FIREPLACE. A 36-inch Majestic unit takes the chill off the evening. Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association. Circle no. 180.
- PAVERS. Sand-set concrete pavers for all of the home's hardscapes, including the retaining wall and steps to the lake, provide an Old World feel of permanence. Oldcastle Architectural. Circle no. 181.
- LAUNDRY EQUIPMENT. A stacked set of Whirlpool's Duet line of laundry equipment conveniently serves the guest suite and the pool/loggia.