Reader's Choice: Lasting Impressions By Carolyn Weber and Christina B. Farnsworth
Top 10 Vote Getters
We sent our first annual Reader's Choice survey to more than 1,000 builder and architect readers. We asked them to rank their favorite historic American homes and then to write in which house influenced them most in their lives and careers. Below are the results of the top 10 ranking, with Falling Water as the overwhelming No. 1 choice.
1. Falling Water, Mill Run, Pa.
2. Gamble House, Pasadena, Calif.
3. Monticello, Charlottesville, Va.
4. Taliesin West, Scottsdale, Ariz.
5. Biltmore Estate, Asheville, N.C.
[Photo: Paul Rocheleau & The Western Pennsylvania Conversancy]
6. Mar-A-Lago, Palm Beach, Fla.
7. The Breakers, Newport, R.I.
8. Hearst Castle, San Simeon, Calif.
9. House of Seven Gables, Salem, Mass.
10. Glass House, New Caanan, Conn.