You've built a fantastic modernist home, but now where do you sell your unique, 20th century piece of architecture? The Spaces commissioning editor Betty Wood presents the seven best websites across the world for modernist real estate listings:
- Architecture For Sale, worldwide: This international website cherry-picks residential architecture for its credentials and aesthetics. AFS dips into a myriad of architectural styles, but mid-century architecture is the dominant theme.
- Modern House, Australia: Modern House was founded by former advertising creative Marcus Lloyd-Jones in 2012, who only sells architect-designed residences (usually around the Sydney area).
- The Modern House, UK: All [the site's] properties – whether from the 1930s or 2016 – follow core Modernist ideas about flowing space, natural light, truth to materials, and the relationship between architecture and its environment.
- Architecturally Significant Homes, Texas, USA: Realtor Douglas Newby’s ‘Significant Homes’ website is on the ‘old school’ side but what it lacks in swish web design, it makes up for in architectural clout. The Dallas-based realtor pulls in some of Texas’ best houses on the market.
- Modern Capital DC, northeast USA: Journalist-turned-realtor Michael Shapiro specializes in selling Modernist properties across Maryland, Virginia and Washington DC. You’d be hard pressed to find a better curation of Potomac mid-century residencies out there.
- Modern Living LA, California, USA: Los Angeles was an early adopter of the Modernist style and has become one of its richest enclaves in North America. Modern Living LA specializes in selling Modernist homes across the city, from the Hollywood Hills to Silverlake and Beverly Hills.
- 360 Modern, northwest USA: ‘We find, showcase and sell modern homes. Period.’ So says 360 Modern, which is dedicated to classic Modern (1920s-1970s) and contemporary Modern properties in Washington, particularly in Seattle and Tacoma.