A solar-powered home in England went up in flames a few weeks ago and now authorities are blaming the blaze on incorrect installation of the system's inverter.

The devastating fire caused nearly $300,000 of damage to the four-bedroom home, which was equipped with 20 solar panels three years ago.

The insurance company later identified the cause of the blaze as the faulty inverter after an inspection by the criminal investigation unit. It was not clear whether it was a faulty unit or faulty connection. An inverter switches electrical current from AC to DC so it can be used in a stand-alone power system.

Despite the scary incident, the homeowners say they will include solar panels in their rebuilt home.

Read more >