Most folks tend to stay in the states where they were born. But where is this "homegrown" population biggest, and on the flip-side, which states have the biggest share of newcomers?

Those are the questions being tackled in a blog post for the Census Bureau, which looks at the migration of U.S. residents from, or within, the states where they were born. 

So, which states have the highest share of homegrown residents? Louisiana topped the charts, followed by Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Mississippi.

About 77.7 percent of Louisiana’s population is made up of those who were born there, or “homegrowns,” (Table 1) meaning the remaining 22.3 percent are movers into Louisiana, or inmigrants."

On the other side of the coin, the states with the smallest share of homegrown residents include Nevada (25.8%), Arizona, Washington, D.C., Florida, and Nevada.

Read more >