A fire broke out early Tuesday morning in a senior citizen housing complex in Carmel, N.Y., north of New York City, destroying several apartments and rendering the building uninhabitable. The building was equipped with sprinklers. The Journal News reports:

Numerous senior citizens were forced into the street as a fire tore through their housing complex in Carmel early Tuesday.

No residents were injured in the fire at Hughson Commons on Gables Way, but about 35 of them were displaced, Red Cross spokeswoman Carolyn Sherwin said. Four apartments were destroyed and another six were damaged, and the entire building has been deemed uninhabitable until further notice, Carmel Fire Chief Vinny Ruggiero said.

One police officer was taken to Putnam Hospital for smoke inhalation, Ruggiero said.

Flames broke out around 3:50 a.m. in the complex, where officers arrived and saw two second-floor apartments engulfed in flames, police said. The complex includes 94 units spread across three apartment buildings, according to the website of its owner, Wilder Balter Partners Inc.

Read more >