NPR shares a story from WFIU reporter Barbara Brosher, who looks at what happened when an Indiana  family purchased a home that used to be a meth lab. Brosher says:

The kids were constantly sick and struggling to sleep. The Nugents puzzled over their children's health problems until a neighbor mentioned that the previous homeowner referred to the bathroom as his "smoke shop."

That's when Nugent paid $50 for a methamphetamine test. The first test revealed meth levels three times the legal limit. 

A recently passed state law aims to protect homebuyers from unknowingly buying homes contaminated by meth.

Just like checking a box to indicate if there's lead or asbestos on a property, homeowners must disclose whether meth was manufactured there. Just over half of states have similar disclosure laws.

Read more >