Here's a piece from a local librarian in the Bloomington Pantagraph that details how a late 1940's/early 1950's community came to be.
It’s a somewhat forgotten neighborhood today, but when its homes were going up in the mid-1950s Meadowbrook subdivision was the talk of the Twin Cities. [The twin cities include Bloomington and nearby Normal.]
In early November 1953, an out-of-town development group by the name of Meadowbrook Homes, Inc. announced the purchase of a 54½-acre tract on what was then the southeast edge of Bloomington.
Located south of Lakeside Country Club and Holiday Park, and bordered by Lincoln Street to the north, Lafayette Street to the south, and Morrissey Drive/U.S. 150 to the west, Meadowbrook was billed as “Bloomington’s choicest residential development.”
The original proposal called for a 187-lot housing development east of McGregor Street and an enclosed shopping center west of McGregor. The residential half, which eventually included 176 homes, was all but completed in a few years. The shopping center, though, never got off the ground.
Meadowbrook is an exemplar of the post-World War II era of suburban housing featuring curving streets and row upon row of prefabricated ranch, Cape Cod and split-level homes, à la Levittown, N.Y.