Cloth, whiskey, and $350 in cash bought the 101,000 square feet of land that the town of Warwick, N.Y., now sits upon. Granted by the governor in 1703, the exchange was secured by 12 colonial speculators from 12 Munsee Indian chiefs. Located in Orange County—named for William III of England, the Prince of Orange—Warwick's history is representative of the tumultuous times experienced by many Eastern colonies. Ravaged by 10 years of battles during the French and Indian War, the town came to rely heavily on a large blockhouse (constructed on what is now Warwick County Park) and the help of the Munsees for their safety. War followed war, and Warwick's Sterling Works played a pivotal role in the American Revolution by manufacturing bullets for Washington's army and iron chains that blocked the British from coming up the Hudson River. Warwick became a hot spot for wealthy New Yorkers after the introduction of the Warwick Valley Railroad in the mid-18th century. In 1984, the National Register of Historic Places established the Warwick Village Historic District to preserve the town's legacy in its significant federal, late Victorian, and late 19th-and 20th-century revival architecture.
Learn more about markets featured in this article: Los Angeles, CA.