Thoughtful design is a gift that every landscaper, developer, and city planner can give to their clients and communities. As builders and planners, we try to seize every opportunity for putting mindfulness and creativity into landscape design. Our main endeavor is to create something special for each family home and community center that we build.
The NEXTadventure Home
The NEXTadventure Home is a showcase single-family home designed specifically with the 55-plus market in mind. The house in Clermont, Fla., is a labor of love that shines a light on the best that the home building industry, Waldrop Engineering, and Taylor Morrison have to offer to meet the demands of the increasing volume of 55-plus buyers.
The collaborative team has an undeniable synergy that makes it easy for each and every detail to sing. In particular, working in conjunction with the interior design team has allowed the indoor and outdoor living spaces to meld in a way that feels refreshingly open. The team has achieved fluid connectivity from the mailbox to the backyard fence and everywhere in between.
It’s Easier Than You Think to Deliver Wow
Materials and landscape technology have evolved to provide an infinite number of combinations and patterns for stunning visual and design aesthetics. What’s more, new construction boasts low-maintenance features and benefits.
Here are some things my team has learned along the way:
- Keep innovating ways to create a seamless transition from indoors to outdoors, and vice versa. Make every green space pedestrian-friendly.
- Amplify practicality and engineering to create a sustainable plan that’s built to last.
- Make it happen with a team of people that you respect and who contribute in remarkable ways to the overall outcome of the project. Great design doesn’t happen in a vacuum.
- Think outside of the box with unexpected material choices. (Ever used Astroturf spacers? They’re awesome. You’re welcome.)
- Design pros are your best asset and will be a real asset to your team.
- Design is a process. It takes layers and layers of good ideas to bring together a show-stopping green space. The best designs don’t happen overnight.
- It helps to have an open-minded client. It helps even more if you check your ego at the door.
Watch the progress of the NEXTadventure Home using #nextadventurehome on Twitter. Register now to take a tour of the home at the 2017 International Builders' Show.