Las Vegas, Jan. 21 – Adding color to your houses can make a big impact for not a lot of money, according to several design experts speaking during an educational session at the International Builders’ Show.
Pros should keep abreast of the latest color trends in order to wow their potential clients. According to Timberlake Cabinetry’s Connie Edwards, a chair in the Color Marketing Group, the popular colors for 2009 are:
- Watery blues that are relaxing and work well with grays and other colors
- Rich ethnic colors that add excitement to a room.
- New neutrals that are more complex than the standard whites and beiges.
- Yellows that are uplifting and cheerful.
- Botanical greens that are not only popular because of the sustainability movement, but also because they are calming.
Edwards suggested that mixing finishes on cabinets throughout the home, or installing a cabinet island with a different finish than the rest of the kitchen cabinetry, creates a big bang for the buck.
In addition, Kay Green of Kay Green Design said that pros can use colorful tile in small spaces, such as a backsplash or around a fireplace, to add pizzazz. And “the tile doesn’t need to be expensive,” she said.
Finally, Edwards noted that colorful wallpaper is making a comeback–causing many people in the predominately female audience to grown. But she noted that pros can use wallpaper sparingly, such as above the fireplace or on a single wall, to create a focal point in the room.
Learn more about markets featured in this article: Las Vegas, NV.