Breaking free from their mining party in Central City, Colo., miners George and David Griffith set out to find gold. Within two days, on June 17, 1859, the pair spotted a glimmer in Clear Creek on the site of what is now Georgetown. The town was officially recognized by the territorial legislature in 1868, and its mines yielded abundant metals throughout the 19th century. It even served briefly as the world's leading producer of silver. But even as President Grover Cleveland attempted to bolster the gold standard and lift the country out of economic crisis, Georgetown fell on hard times. The downturn lasted well into the 20th century, and the town's unstable economy all but collapsed with the onset of World War II. Demands for enlistment led to the closing of the last silver and gold mines, and it was not until the late 1950s that Georgetown saw better days. With some help from the Colorado Historical Society, nearly 100 acres of mines, mills, and homes were donated in 1959 for reconstruction and display. Now serving as tourist attractions, the old silver mines once again bring revenue to the town.