Why it worked: Location and lifestyle combined to make The Residences at Black Rock in Hingham, Mass., an instant hit--even with prices ranging from $800,000 to $1.3 million. The former granite quarry is just 15 miles from downtown Boston and offers golf club membership for every homeowner (non-homeowner membership is currently oversubscribed).
* First-floor master suites for both one- and two-story designs.
* Exterior details include red cedar shingles, mahogany decks, and brick-paved walkways; cultured stone comes as an option.
* Integrated electronic system distributes audio/visual service and includes, as standard, wiring for DSS satellite, Internet, and digital phone service.
* One interesting option: a golf cart storage area just off the two-car garage.
* Recreation center includes two pools, five tennis courts, and a top-notch fitness center.
* Site boasts ponds, wetlands, and natural granite outcroppings; 85 acres of 380-acre tract designated as conservation.
Project: The Residences at Black Rock, Hingham, Mass.; Sales started: September 2002; Sales through August 2003: 28; Units planned: 138 Price: $800,000 to $1.3 million; Unit size: 2,500 to 3,500 square feet; Developer: Black Rock Development, Hingham; Builder: North West Development, Acton, Mass.; Architect: CBT Architects, Boston; Golf-course architect: Cornish, Silva and Mungeam, Uxbridge, Mass.; Land planner: BSC Group, Norwell, Mass. Landscape architect: Hawk Design, Boston
Learn more about markets featured in this article: Boston, MA.