This 1904 building and its 1907 addition sat abandoned and derelict for 35 years until Bonstra/Haresign Architects transformed both volumes into urban-style condos.
Located in the LeDroit Park neighborhood of Washington, the Gage School is a Georgian Revival building that’s one of 28 historic D.C. public schools from this era, notes architect David T. Haresign. It displays the city’s typical school layout of a four-square classroom plan.
With approval from the Historic Preservation Review Board—this is Washington after all—the architects partially replaced the wood framing and replaced or restored the standing seam and slate roofs, cornice, stair, wood windows and doors, and graffiti-tagged masonry. The firm’s effort was as much about new design as it was about restoration, so it also widened the connection between the two wings, added new dormers, and replaced the mechanical exhaust cupola.
The result is a project featuring 92 loft-style units with 14-foot ceilings, 12-foot historically accurate windows, and hybrid contemporary-meets-classic interiors.
CATEGORY: Adaptive reuse
ENTRANT/ARCHITECT/LAND PLANNER/INTERIOR DESIGNER: Bonstra /Haresign Architects, Washington
BUILDER: James G. Davis Construction Corp., Rockville, Md.
DEVELOPER: Monument Realty (Urban Realty Advisors), Washington
LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT: Slater & Associates, Columbia, Md.
Learn more about markets featured in this article: Washington, DC.