The Hearthstone BUILDER Public Service Honor Roll
Listed alphabetically are the individuals nominated for the 2001 award. BUILDER and Hearthstone are proud to salute them for their continued commitment to making a difference in the lives of others and their communities.
Willard Berkenpas Sr., Berkenpas Builders, Grand Rapids, Mich.--Bethany Christian Services
Darrell Bickell, DTB Custom Carpentry, Hanson, Mass.--South Shore Habitat for Humanity
Peter Burton, Burton Katzman Development, Bingham Farms, Mich.--Lighthouse of Oakland County
Alonzo Cantu, Cantu Construction & Development Co., McAllen, Texas--Cantu Construction & Development Co.
Alan Christy, HCS Builders, Ames, Iowa--Story County Habitat for Humanity
Eddie Cretin, Cretin Homes, LaPlace, La.--Upward Community Services
John Crosland Jr., Crosland Group, Charlotte, N.C.--Mecklenburg Development Corp.
Joseph Davis, The Irvine Co., Newport Beach, Calif.--Orange County Council, Boy Scouts of America
Jay Ence, Ence Construction, St. George, Utah--Doctor's Free Clinic
Michael Garabedian, Garabedian Homes, Colleyville, Texas--Michael Angel Program
Vince Ghiloni, Ghiloni Custom Builders, Newark, Ohio--Licking County Coalition for Housing
Marvin Gilman (deceased), The Gilman Group, Wilmington, Del.--NAHB
Richard Goodwin, Goodwin Enterprises, Mount Laurel, N.J.--Neve Shalom/Wahat Al-Salam Goodwin School for Peace Building
Dixie Goolsby, Master Custom Builder Council, Winter Park, Fla.--Give Kids the World Foundation
Miller Gorrie, Branfield & Gorrie, General Contractors, Birmingham, Mich.--March of Dimes Birth Defect Foundation
Bernard Iacovangelo, Faber Homes, Rochester, N.Y.--Rochester HBA
Merwyn Koster, Quest Development, Hudsonville, Mich.--International Aid
Allen Lankford, W.A. Lankford Construction Co., North Wilkesboro, N.C.--Wilkes County HBA
Tom Leinhauser, ODDO & Kelleher Builders & Remodelers, Collingdale, Pa.--Habitat for Humanity of Chester County
Jacob Lucas, Jacob Lucas builder, Grand Rapids, Mich.--Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
Frank Mairano, Frank J. Mairano & Associates, Collinsville, Conn.--Cornelia de Lange Syndrome Foundation; The Connecticut Institute for the Blind/Oak Hill
Donald Manekin, Manekin Corp., Columbia, Md.--Chesapeake Habitat for Humanity
Bruce McMullin, MAC Development, Midvale, Utah--choiceHUMANITARIAN
Mercedes Homes, Melbourne, Fla.--Space Coast Early Intervention Center
Vance Meyer, Pardee Construction, Los Angeles--BIA of Southern California/HomeAid GLAV
Patrick K. Neal, Neal Custom Homes and Neal Communities, Bradenton, Fla.--Mote Marine Laboratory
Dave Neary, WestLand Construction, Signal Hill, Calif.--Habitat for Humanity South Bay-Long Beach
Ed Nicholson, Nicholson Builders, Richmond, Ind.--Habitat for Humanity of Greater Richmond, Ind.
Jeffrey Orleans, Orleans Homebuilders, Bensalem, Pa.--Delaware Valley Habitat for Humanity
Tom Pannell, PDC Homes, Knoxville, Tenn.--Knoxville Habitat for Humanity
Jeffrey Rutt, Keystone Custom Homes, Willow Street, Pa.--Hope International
Walter Seinsheimer Jr., Dolphin Architects & Builders, Johns Island, S.C.--Gun Stoppers
Barton Smith Jr., S.J.S. Associates, Marion, Ind.--Sagamore Council, Boy Scouts of America
Robert Strudler, Lennar Corp./U.S. Home Corp., Houston--Special Olympics, Texas
Bob Thompson, R.N. Thompson and Associates, Indianapolis, Ind.--St. Mary's Child Center
Mary Ann Umbrino, Umbrino Construction, Pt. Pleasant, N.J.--Pt. Pleasant Hospital Guild
John Weicht, John C. Weicht & Associates, Elk River, Minn.--Central Lutheran Church
Lee Wetherington, Lee Wetherington Homes, Sarasota County, Fla.--Boys & Girls Clubs of Sarasota County
Pete Zyta, Zyta Construction, Coos Bay, Ore.--HBA of Southwestern Oregon
* Jamie S. Gorelick, vice chair, Fannie Mae, the nation's largest source of funds for home mortgages
* Isaac Heimbinder, home building consultant, Houston
* Keith Johnson, CEO, Fieldstone Communities, San Diego, and the 2001 grand award winner of the Hearthstone Builder Lifetime Public Service Award
* Bob Mitchell, chairman & CEO, Mitchell & Best, a Rockville, Md.-based home builder
* Lewis S. Ranieri, chairman and founder of Hyperion Partners, an investment partnership with funds backed by major institutional investors
* Nicholas P. Retsinas, director of the Joint Center for Housing Studies, which conducts research to examine and address America's most critical housing and community development needs
* Patricia T. Rouse, co-founder, vice president, and secretary of The Enterprise Foundation, builder of affordable housing for low-income families
* Alan L. Stein, chairman of BRIDGE Housing Corp., the largest nonprofit housing development group in the western United States
The judges were asked to measure the nominees' charitable activities against these six criteria:
* Lifetime commitment: The builder demonstrates a lifetime of commitment to charitable work.
* Depth of commitment: The builder shows a significant commitment in terms of personal time and resources contributed to charitable activities.
* Significance of builder's contribution: The builder has made a significant difference both in the number of people affected and in the impact on those who have benefited from the builder's involvement.
* Inspirational value: The builder inspires many others to become more involved in community service activities.
* Significance of charity: Highest preference is given to charities that assist the unfortunate and underprivileged. After this, significant weight is given to charities that involve housing.
* Ability of charities to use the reward: The charity should be one that can readily use the award in a productive manner.
Call for Nominations
All for-profit builders or lot developers are eligible as either individuals or companies for the Hearthstone BUILDER Lifetime Public Service Award. Builders may nominate themselves or be nominated by other builders or by the charities, nonprofits, or government organizations they have helped.
BUILDER will begin accepting nominations starting March 15, 2002. To request a nomination form, contact Loretta Williams at 202-736-3455 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.