Nexus EnergyHomes, a Maryland-based startup builder that specializes in producing net-zero-energy homes, on Wednesday night won the Top Builder prize at the EnergyValue Housing Awards (EVHA) ceremony at the International Builders' Show in Orlando, Fla.
This is the 17 th year that EVHA recognized builders and remodelers for their energy-efficient practices. One of this year’s big winners was Ferrier Builders, the Fort Worth, Texas-based company specializing in high-efficiency custom houses. Ferrier received EVHA’s Remodeler of the Year award. It also received a gold award for Existing, Reconstruction/Demonstration Homes in the Hot Climate category , and a silver award for the New Custom/Demonstration Category, Hot Climate.
A total of 17 builders that operate in a dozen states received awards. Stitt Energy Systems, based in Rogers, Ark., captured the People’s Choice award after getting the most online votes prior to the award ceremony. Stitt also received a silver award in the New Custom/Demonstration Home, Moderate Climate category.
Other winners included:
• Colorado Dream Homes Inc., Pagosa Springs, Colo.—Silver, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Cold Climate
• Clifton View Homes, Coupeville, Wash.—Silver, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Moderate Climate
• Flynner Building Company, Boise, Idaho—Gold, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Cold Climate
• G Street, Inc., Scottsdale, Ariz.—Silver, Existing Single-Family Category, Hot Climate
• Habitat for Humanity South Sarasota County, Inc., Venice, Fla.—Silver, Existing Reconstruction/ Demonstration Category, Hot Climate
• Kirby Nagelhout Construction & Zero-Energy Plans, Mitchell, Ore.—Gold, New Custom/Demonstration Category, Cold Climate
• Lend Lease, Fort Campbell, Ky.—Silver, New Multifamily Category, Moderate Climate
John Caulfield is senior editor for Builder magazine.