There's no doubt this house has a lot of wide-open spaces, room to satisfy any size gathering. But it also allows for private pursuits and passions, from a boat ride on the lake to some quiet time in the library above the study; from fiddling with a Harley in the fully equipped workshop/garage to enjoying a favorite film in the sound-insulated home theater. Even the home office is set apart, complete with its own entry from the driveway, allowing the owners to pursue a side business, manage semi-retirement, or tackle telecommuting during a seasonal visit. These spaces allow for much-needed getaways and diversions from the routine, the guilty pleasures that come with financial success, and the opportunity to follow a dream on one's own terms.
- SPIRAL STAIR. Built from solid Brazilian cherry, the spiral stair leading from the office to the library loft adds a rich, comfortable detail with a natural hardness that stands up to years of use. StairWorld. Circle no. 186.
- GARAGE FLOOR. The snap-together, interlocking tiles of the RaceDeck garage floor system by Snaplock Industries are engineered to withstand daily vehicle traffic, chemical spills, and dropped tools, and clean up with a garden hose.
- GARAGE DOORS. Insulated steel sectional doors, complete with a decorative row of windows, are controlled by ½-horsepower openers—all supplied by Overhead Door Corp. Circle no. 188.
- ELECTRICAL SYSTEM COMPONENTS. From the backup generator to the home's entire web of electrical components and housings, Eaton's Electrical Business/Cutler-Hammer (circle no. 189) delivers the power of a structured wiring system that suits needs now and in the future.
- FOAM INSULATION. Expanding soft foam insulation from Icynene (circle no. 190), applied on the underside of the second-floor platform and at all penetrations in and through the envelope, provides air-quality and sound-abatement benefits in addition to its thermal properties. The nontoxic, spray-applied material contains no formaldehyde, CFCs, or other banned substances, expands 100 times its initial volume, and cures quickly.
- INTEGRATED ELECTRONICS. A complete line of audio-visual components allows the owners to plug in and play a variety of cool new toys.