By BUILDER Magazine Staff. Why it worked: High quality of architecture and construction distinguishes Claremont Pointe from its neighboring communities.
* Artfully detailed homes combine a traditional floor plan with an elegant glass enclosed courtyard between living and dining rooms.
* Although several competitors offer comparable prices, Claremont Pointe lures more customers thanks to an assortment of interior and exterior customization options.
* The four- to seven-bedroom homes also have flex-room options such as dens, lofts, and libraries.
* Energy-conscious buyers appreciate the homes' dual glazed windows, Low-E glass, and energy-efficient GE appliances.
* Residents enjoy the closeness to community parks, fine dining, and Modesto's top-ranked Sylvan School district.
Project: Claremont Pointe, Modesto, Calif.; Sales started: February 2002; Sales through January 2003: 61; Units planned: 71; Price: $277,900 to $359,900; Unit size: 2,384 to 3,870 square feet; Builder: Pacific Union Homes, Danville, Calif.; Architect: Hunt Hale Jones Architects, San Francisco; Land planner: Delamone-Fultz, Modesto; Landscape architect: Polhemus Enterprises, Escalon, Calif.