WHY IT WORKED: A golf course is often a big draw for a community, but one designed by Tom Fazio is almost irresistible for the links-obsessed. Throw in well-priced homes, good amenities, and proximity to Amelia Island and you've got a winner.

  • Compared with Amelia Island and Hilton Head, more-established resort areas to the north, Fernandina Beach is still relatively affordable. And it's closer to Jacksonville, a recent Super Bowl host.
  • The best-selling Winchester model (shown) makes sense for both empty-nesters (60 percent of buyers) and professionals (the remaining 40 percent). Its split floor plan and open, flowing design are ideal for entertaining and hosting guests.
  • A two-year blanket homeowner warranty plan is included with each home Morrison sells at Amelia National.
  • PROJECT CREDITS Project: Morrison Homes at Amelia National, Fernandina Beach, Fla.; Sales started: February 2006; Sales through Aug. 15, 2006: 27; Units planned: 57; Price: $389,990 to $463,990; Unit size: 1,927 to 2,813 square feet; Builder: Morrison Homes, St. Augustine, Fla.; Architect: Residential Planner, Longwood, Fla.; Developer: ICI Homes, Jacksonville, Fla.; Land planner/ Landscape architect: Erin Lovett & Miller, Jacksonville