WASHINGTON, DC (July 19, 2016) – Bringing together the brightest minds and talents to address the ever-challenging housing industry, Hanley Wood announced a stellar speaker lineup today for its premiere HIVE 2016 conference. Over a two-day period, HIVE – Housing Innovation, Vision & Economics – offers keynote addresses and educational content presented by innovative thought leaders.
“HIVE 2016 isn’t your typical homebuilding conference, but rather a transformational forum for housing that will guide the industry over the next decade,” said Peter Goldstone, CEO of Hanley Wood. “The goal of HIVE 2016 is to begin a new conversation that inspires creativity, higher performance, and better solutions for those involved with and responsible for our country’s current and future vision for housing, presented by some of the nation’s highest caliber of thinkers all in one place.”
Content and discussions at this first-ever event are driven by five transformative forces in housing: demographics, finance, design, products, and business management. Sessions led by a team of five "deans,” trusted advisors who helped engineer the HIVE program, will look at these five forces and their most solvable challenges, in order to stimulate new ideas and shape the future of how people live, work and play.
“HIVE is an ideas-into-action event that stimulates new discourse, fresh insight, and collaborative thought on what up to now may have been considered intractable, chronic, and inevitable challenges,” said John McManus, editorial director-residential group of Hanley Wood. “It’s about open-sourcing solutions for the future of housing. Ultimately, it’s about innovation – using ‘the crowd’ to learn something that can be scaled and adapted – which is change that changes the rules.”
Products dean, William McDonough, world-renowned expert on environmental design and co-author of Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things and The Upcycle: Beyond Sustainability – Designing for Abundance, will present “Sustainability for Profit,” which looks at how designing innovative products that are ecologically and socially beneficial not only makes good business sense, but also requires deep collaboration between builders and manufacturers. His session proposes ways to make purpose and profit align.
Business management dean, Stuart Miller, CEO, Lennar will speak on “The Business Case for Constant, Big Change,” that explores ways to marry the right technology and data with an effective team of employees. Demographics dean, Dowell Myers, professor of policy, planning, and demography in the Sol Price School of Public Policy at USC, will lead a high-level conversation during his “Solving the Millennial Dilemma” on how to structure local and national programs to make places that attract and welcome young and diverse populations.
“From the demographics side, it’s recognizing better who the new consumer is and how they have changed in the last five years,” said Myers. “It will require more attention to more rental housing, compact housing, aging housing. There are big changes that are happening en masse – especially with the baby boomers and the millennials.”
Design dean, Sarah Susanka, author of the popular Not So Big House series will present “Reinventing Our Homes and Communities for Aging Independence.” In response to the 77 million baby boomers who are demanding housing solutions, her session explores how to lead design, health care options, technology, and finance towards solutions that both compel and endure in value for this powerful demographic.
“Right now, many people are creating new ideas and projects, but they have little visibility and no traction,” said Susanka. “HIVE is organizing the housing community in a way that will help us rethink all aspects and that will give us access to cutting-edge innovation. HIVE proposes to amplify the ideas and the innovation happening in all communities of thought related to housing. HIVE is going to revolutionize housing.”
Finance dean, Ivy Zelman, CEO, Zelman & Associates, will then lead the discussion with “Labor, Lots, and Lending;” walking participants through the process of working around the barriers to rules, regulation, fees, and access to mortgage loans.
Other notable speakers at HIVE include an impressive line-up of innovators and thought leaders including:
· Dan Bridleman, SVP, Sustainability, KB Home
· Blaine Brownell, University of MN School of Architecture
· Ross Chapin, FAIA, author of The Pocket Neighborhood
· Henry Cisneros, Former US Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
· Lee Clark-Sellers, Innovation Officer, Ply Gem
· Michael Dickens, Partner and Chief Marketing Officer, IBACOS
· Fred Ehle, Former Vice President Customer Strategy, McDonald’s Corporation
· Ryan Frederick, CEO, Smart Living 360
· Dan Fulton, Director, TRI Pointe Group
· Richard Green, Director, and Lusk Chair in Real Estate, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate
· Svenja Gudell, Chief Economist, Zillow
· Rodney Harrell, PhD, Director of Livability Thought Leadership, AARP
· Bill Hayward, CEO and Chief Sustainability Officer, Hayward Lumber
· Chris Herbert, Managing Director, Joint Center for Housing Studies, Harvard University
· Steven Hilton, Chairman, CEO and Co-Founder, Meritage Homes Corporation
· Matthias Hollwich, author, New Aging and Principal, Hollwich Kushner
· Timothy Kane, CEO, MBK Homes
· John McManus, Editorial Director, Hanley Wood
· Gary Robinette, Chairman and CEO, Ply Gem
· Susan Rossi, Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX
· Tony Schwartz, CEO, The Energy Project
· Bert Selva, CEO, Shea Homes
· JB Straubel, Chief Technical Officer, Tesla
· Thomas Toomey, President & CEO, UDR, Inc.
HIVE 2016 is supported by title and underwriting sponsor, Ply Gem, and founding sponsors, Louisiana Pacific (LP), Kohler, and Electrolux. The conference takes place at the JW Marriott at L.A. LIVE, 900 W Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles, on September 28 and 29, 2016. To register or for more information about the conference, please visit http://media.hwhive.com/.
ABOUT HANLEY WOOD
Hanley Wood is the premier company serving the information, media, and marketing needs of the residential, commercial design, and construction industry. Utilizing the largest analytics- and editorial-driven construction industry database, the company provides business intelligence and data-driven services. The company produces award-winning media, high-profile executive events, and strategic marketing solutions.