HOW MANY BUILDERS AND trade contractors will go for the gold this year? All U.S. home builders and trade contractors are eligible to apply for the premiere quality award in home building: the National Housing Quality (NHQ) Awards. The NHQ Award, which is patterned after the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, gives the highest recognition by the housing industry for quality achievement. From training, to product and quality assurance system certification, to national recognition through awards programs, the NAHB Research Center's NHQ Program is leading the charge in quality matters.
- The Senate passes a bankruptcy bill that reaches an evenhanded balance between the rights of tenants and the rights of property owners.
- HUD endorses the International Building Code 2003 edition.
- A new Web site gives home builders unparalleled access to NAHB green building resources.
IN RECENT YEARS, A WIDE range of new flashing materials has entered the home building market. The NAHB Research Center and Williams Building Diagnostics, on behalf of the national Partnership for Advancing Technology in Housing (PATH), is surveying these innovative new products and describing the ways they can be used to reduce water intrusion in modern homes.
- The House introduces four bills toimprove OSHA's enforcement of rules that govern small business owners.
- The nation's home builders endorse bipartisan legislation allowing affordable health coverage for up to two million uninsured working families.
- The NAHB launches a major advertising campaign to promote the home building industry's contributions to the nation's economic recovery.
The Directory of Accessible Building Products serves as an important tool for educating the home building industry, the aging network, and consumers about options that are available to keep people in their homes for as long as possible.