By BUILDER Magazine Staff. Why it worked: Pent-up Detroit-area demand for well-appointed, move-down homes that live large are the key to Treyborne's success. Though not age-qualified, buyers are empty-nesters and active adults for whom single-level living has great appeal. Optional second stories add additional bedrooms for guests.
* Neighbors appreciated attached residential on a property that had been zoned light industrial in a residential area.
* Infill achieved by combining five separate parcels.
* Site borders woodlands and wetlands giving a close-in site an appealing country feel.
* Location within one mile of new expressway exchange means entire metro area is within a 20-minute commute.
* Two basic plans offer second-story options with guest bedrooms.
* Plans are sensible and appealing with a short travel path between garage and kitchen.
* Flexible downstairs room can be den, library, or guest suite.
Project: Treyborne Cove Condominiums, Commerce Township, Mich.; Sales started: September 2001; Sales through May 2002: 101; Units planned: 166; Price: $254,900 to $289,900; Unit size: 1, 580 to 2,079 square feet; Developer: Ivanhoe-Huntley Development Co., West Bloomfield, Mich.; Builder: Ivanhoe-Huntley Homes, West Bloomfield; Architect: Dominick Tringali Associates, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.