By BUILDER Magazine Staff. Why it worked: Affordable doesn't have to look stripped down. These beautifully detailed but modestly sized homes include everything a buyer needs. Thus buyers save thousands of dollars that they would otherwise spend to outfit a house after moving in. These are also Energy Star homes, so buyers save even more money with lower utility bills compared to less energy-efficient homes.
* Prices range from $110,950 to $119,950 for well-appointed homes with curb appeal.
* Smallest plan features dual owners' suites, each with a walk-in closet and private bathroom.
* All plans include two and one half bathrooms.
* Standard features include a refrigerator, washer and dryer, and even mini-blinds for all windows.
* Energy Star features keep homes' operating costs to a minimum.
* Also standard, fully landscaped front, side, and rear yards, which include an irrigation system.
Project: Silverado Place, Las Vegas; Sales started: February 2002; Sales through May 2002: 81; Units planned: 429; Price: $110,950 to $119,950; Unit size: 1,143 to 1,293 square feet; Builder/Architect: Astoria Homes, Las Vegas; Interior merchandiser: Design Dimensions, Las Vegas; Landscape architect: Par 3, Las Vegas.